Penelope Cruz had a major bombshell moment in a sexy violet Marchesa gown with costar Johnny Depp on her arm at this evening's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides premiere at the Cannes Film Festival. The two also stepped out for their photo call and press conference earlier in the day, where Penelope Cruz talked about aging and Johnny revealed that the only important critics in his life are his children. Both Johnny and Penelope were without their partners, Vanessa Paradis and Javier Bardem, respectively, which is already the trend for their promotional duties from LA to Russia to London. New mom Penelope has been knocking it out of the park with her red-carpet picks, and this dramatic dress is no exception. Also on the momentarily rainy red carpet were Cannes jurors Jude Law, Uma Thurman, and Robert De Niro. Johnny and Penelope's cute newcomer castmate Sam Claflin was decked out for his debut at the famous French festival, and his star is only on the rise as he recently signed on to star opposite Kristen Stewart in Snow White and the Huntsman.
Angelina Jolie on Bringing the Kids to Cannes, Finding Inner Peace, and Maddox and Pax's Martial Arts!
Angelina Jolie joined her costars Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman to bring Kung Fu Panda 2 to the Cannes Film Festival this morning! The movie is screening out of competition, but the timing is perfect since she and the family will be sticking around to premiere Brad Pitt's Tree of Life Monday. Angelina looked stunning in Salvatore Ferragamo's tan dress, brown belt and nude heels, and she was cracking up during the press conference as Dustin and Jack showed off their comedic skills. Dustin harped on his own age, joking that he doesn't even remember making the first Kung Fu Panda, so it felt like the first time playing the part. Angelina also talked a bit about her kids, especially her boys Pax and Maddox's love of martial arts, and the theme of adoption in Kung Fu Panda 2 that are obviously close to home for the Jolie-Pitts. She said of the Kung Fu Panda series, "It's the best!" while Jack and Dustin kept the laughs coming. Here's some highlights from Angelina at the press conference:
- On her kids and the themes of adoption in Kung Fu Panda 2: "I brought my kids to see the movie and they loved it, they laughed through the whole thing. I wondered whether they would ask me questions about it, but because adoption and birth mothers and orphanage — these are happy words. They're very used to these discussions and they just felt that much more proud that they're a little more like Po. So it was lovely."
- On violence in KFP2 and showing her kids violent films: "You have to know your children. There are children that have a better understanding and are ready earlier than others. But for a film like this, I don't see this as a film that's too violent. I think this is actually quite the opposite because the strength, even in the final battle, the inner peace and sending back that negative energy is what wins. My boys are in martial arts classes. Boys are boys and they have a certain kind of energy, naturally. It's been wonderful to get them focused on martial arts to teach them about the discipline and the respect and the control of their own bodies. I think to ignore that that's a part of humanity, especially little boys, is wrong. So it's to help guide them — what's a positive thing, what's a good guy, To try not to [use violence] certainly, but if you have to, to defend yourself."
- On bringing the kids to Cannes: "Yes, we're all in France. Our whole family is in France and we're very happy. They're running around the hotel right now, playing games, and making a giant mess, I'm sure. They're having a great time. They love it here. Cannes can be overwhelming, and it can be that you meet a lot of friendly faces and have a good laugh and you also get a chance to see some great films. It's very nice."
- On picking KFP2 to appeal more to her kids: "We're all big kids at heart . . . but in many ways I did it for them, and I was excited for them to see it. The trick of a sequel is you have to make it better than the first one, which is hard to do especially when the first one is so successful, and I think we pulled it off."
- On finding inner peace: "Especially for people that have children. You wake up and if they're healthy, you know that that's the most important thing, so you have first of all that peace. They also come with a lot of chaos, but we're all searching for it. It's part of the human journey. We all have moments of inner peace and we lose it and we look for it again. But really it's in knowing the people you love are safe and healthy. That's the best."
- On her real-life alter ego to all her tough characters: "Certainly my alter ego is who I am 100 percent, which is a mommy who is changing diapers and coloring all night long. I'm sure I'm very, very soft. I've always been drawn to strong characters and I admire strong women, emotionally and physically, just people I feel are fighting for something . . . have a sense of justice and injustice. I've been very lucky that I came to my career at a time that women are being allowed these roles and have such great opportunities for these types of characters."
The stars were in great spirits following the BAFTA awards last night, as they went for dinner at Grosvenor House Hotel and then partied at Soho House! The winners, including Carey Mulligan, Colin Firth and Kathryn Bigelow, posed with their awards, and Carey and Claire Danes were among the stars that stopped to sign autographs for the waiting fans outside. Bonnie Wright and Jamie Campbell Bower had a fun time, playing games and making faces as they sipped on their drinks, Aaron Johnson was amusingly protective over his fiancee Sam Taylor-Wood's baby bump, and Gabourey Sidibe got a warm hug from Jeremy Renner.
Anna Kendrick, Saoirse Ronan and Audrey Tautou looked cute as they posed for photos, while Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart left the party together! Other guests included James Corden, George Lamb, Tom Ford, Tahar Rahim and Nicholas Hoult, while Little Boots and The Saturdays performed.
To see more photos from the BAFTA afterparties, just read more
Kate Beckinsale's 35th Birthday Celebration With Her BFFs Kate Beckinsale celebrated her birthday at the Thompson Hotel in LA on Friday night. She was escorted by hot hubby Len and joined by BFF couples, the Beckhams and the Parkers. Even Dustin Hoffman and his wife made an appearance. We wish a happy birthday to Kate who turned 35 on Saturday!