I'm pleased to note that Cheryl Cole seems to have toned down the fake tan, and gone easy on the Barbie-girl hair. Oh and happy birthday for today, Cheryl, too!
She looks bang on-trend here with a multiple strand hair band, mini plaits and a messy, looped pony. I prefer her hair darker too. A few years ago I was lucky enough to style Cheryl for a photo shoot and she was not only very sweet, but also a lot less high maintenance, beauty-wise, than you'd think. So follow her lead with my easy peasy hair how-to guide:
- STEP 1: Prep the hair before blow drying with a volumising mousse, such as Frederic Fekkai More All-Day Density Styling Whip, (£19).
- STEP 2: Now's the time to do the mini plaits. Take a few strands of hair near the crown and plait into tight, neat sections. You don't need to fasten these with a bobble as if you've used enough product (or you're not working on freshly washed hair) they should hold themselves.
- STEP 3: Add the hair band. Wear it close to the face like Cheryl. This will keep the plaits in place and give you room to create some volume with the pony.
- STEP 4: This is a baggy, messy pony so don't worry about making it too perfect. Just scrape hair back with your fingers and knot with a hair bobble.
- STEP 5: To create the loop, pull some hair strands all the way through as you would with a pony, but leave most of them tucked into the bobble.
- STEP 6 : Add some texturiser, such as the new Shu Uemura's Art Of Hair Texurizer and fluff up the hair with your fingers.