Last night at the Dorchester Hotel in London, celebrities and beauty business fixtures gathered for the 17th Annual Fragrance Foundation UK Awards (better known as "The Fifi's"). The profits from the event were donated to the Teenage Cancer Trust, and in the past few years alone, The Fifi's have raised over £100,000 for the charity.
I was lucky enough to speak with Janine Roxbrough Bunce, the Executive Director of the Fragrance Foundation this morning, who said, "the atmosphere last night was starry and electric. This has become the Oscars of the fragrance industry, and is very important to the world of fragrance. The aim in the future is to get the public more and more involved in the awards and eventually, we'd love to see the masses voting online for their favourite scents."
19 crystal awards were given out in total with two being new to this year. One especially worth mentioning is the Lifetime Achievement Award which went to 82 year old Jean-Paul Guerlain. The winners, (which are scents from 1 Jan - 31 Dec of 2008) didn't necessarily surprise me, however, I felt that a few of my faves have been overlooked. You can check out the winners from last year here and for a full list of this year's winners, and to find out what fragrance Mischa Barton loves and which one Alex Zane was wearing last night, read more.
Mischa Barton revealed last night that one of her favourite fragrances is She Wood by DSquared2, while Alex Zane proudly announced that he was wearing Boss by Hugo Boss.
Prestige Award of The Year
- Best New Prestige Female Fragrance: Sensuous by Estee Lauder
- Best New Prestige Male Fragrance: 1 Million Paco Rabanne
- Best New Fragrance Print Advertisement For Women: Chloe
- Best New Fragrance Print Advertisement For Men: Play by Givenchy
- Best New Fragrance Commercial For Women: Fuel for Life Unlimited by Diesel
- Best New Fragrance Commercial For Men: Adventure by Davidoff (featuring Ewan McGregor)
- Superdrug Battle of the Sexes Award (Men's Vote): Ghost for Women by Ghost
- Superdrug Battle of the Sexes Award (Women's Vote): Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss
- Best New Fragrance Packaging For Women: Le Parfum by Max Mara
- Best New Fragrance Packaging For Men: The Essence by Porsche Design
- The 'People's Choice' Celebrity Fragrance: Besotted by Katie Price
- The 'People's Choice' Award For Women: Chloe
- The 'People's Choice' Award For Men: The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana
Men's Health Reader's Vote
- Men's Health Reader's Award: The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana
- Best New Home Fragrance: Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily
- Best New Limited Distribution Fragrance For Women: White Patchouli by Tom Ford
- Best New Limited Distribution Fragrance For Men: Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
Industry Achievemet Awards
- Special Award for Creativity and Services in The Fragrance Industry: Jean-Paul Guerlain
- Special Award for Education and Innovation: Clive Christian for The Sound of Perfume Project