Skin illuminators are the fast track to giving your skin a gorgeous, natural glow. These products aren't shimmery or glittery; instead, they create the illusion of healthy skin with a natural-looking dewy finish. Usually available in shades of pink or white, the creams are quite thin and full of tiny iridescent particles that attract natural light and add dimension to the face. They can be applied all over the face or mixed into moisturiser or foundation, but for a more subtle look, dab and blend drops in all the areas that naturally catch the light: just under the brow bone, down the centre of the nose, at the temples, the top of the cheekbones, on the chin, and, finally, in the cupid's bow (to draw attention to your lips). Congratulations, you've mastered strobing! Below are five tried and tested products to add a dewy glow to your skin.
- MAC Strobe Cream (£24.50) is a cult favourite among celebrity and runway makeup artists. A little dollop of this pearly-white cream goes a long way to create a gorgeous effect that makes you look like you're glowing from the inside out.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl (£30) now comes in a "poured" version with a compact mirror for afternoon touch-ups. All you do is dab your fingertips into the creamy compact, then gently pat it into your skin over your makeup or blend it in with your foundation. It gives a glowing, radiant finish that looks so natural, people will wonder what your secret is!
- No 7 Instant Radiance Highlighter (£9.95) comes in an easy-to-apply chubby pencil, making this a great choice for on-the-go touch-ups. The pink-toned shade gives a glow from within. This product is the most affordable of the bunch, and it creates a wonderful smooth and glowy effect on your skin.
- Benefit High Beam (£19.50) is a modern classic that comes in a nail-polish-style bottle with a thin, long brush for application. This will help you to apply sparingly in hard-to-reach areas like your cupid's bow and your collarbone. For more expansive coverage, simply tilt the bottle over and pour it onto your fingertips, but go easy, as this packs a serious punch!
- Revlon Photoready Skinlights (£12) is a lightweight shimmer liquid that gives a gentle, natural glow. It comes in four shades that run the gamut from pale pearl to dark bronze. It's a wonderful product for brides looking for a special effect on their special day and also works really well on holiday for a natural bronzing that's not too orange.