Take inspiration from the Jean Paul Gaultier Spring/Summer show, where small sections of hair were tightly plaited for a modern-day, pirate look.
This is a great look for the beach, when hair is likely to already have more texture than usual.
Think deluxe hippy, and combine the plaited sections, with matte – yet healthy looking – hair.
- Keep the plaits uneven - to avoid looking too twee. This isn't Little House on the Prairie, you know!
- If you want to keep it simple, just one tight plait, on one side of the face, looks chic and sweet.
- First, make sure your parting is uneven. Then, randomly pin bits of hair, using grips, to keep the effect sexily dishevelled.
- Next, take small sections of hair, and plait tightly. Either leave the ends loose if you already have lots of texture in your hair, or fasten with a small bobble.
- For ship wreck chic, fasten the plaits with string that's the same colour of your hair. Or use thin strands of leather.
- Keep the rest of the hair mussed-up, by spritzing hair with a texturising spray when it's still damp. I really like Shu Uemura Art Of Hair Texturiser.
- A loose hold hairspray will keep the look in place, while still allowing movement. Try Nicky Clarke Red Carpet Flexible Hairspray, (£4.49).