Skip Nav

Woman Went Blind After Lash Extensions

This Woman Temporarily Lost Her Sight After Getting Eyelash Extensions

Twenty-year-old Megan Rixson posted a video on Twitter saying she lost her eyesight for two hours after getting eyelash extensions. According to her tweet, the salon she went to for the service used nail glue as an adhesive during her appointment.

"This one's on fire. This one wont open as much," she said in the video as she points to each of her eyes. Since the video's initial post, it has garnered over 850,000 views.

"When she was doing the first one my eyes were stinging lots," Rixson told Buzzfeed News, referring to the experience. "But she said, don't worry, it's normal, and told me to hold my eye open."

ADVERTISEMENT

Just a reminder β€” getting lengthy lashes can be a lovely experience. Still, in order to prevent experiences like Rixson's, it is imperative to those who are interested in extensions to do their research. "Safety should be your number one concern when choosing a lash extension expert," said Clementina Richardson, a celebrity lash stylist and licensed aesthetician. "It's important to find someone who is certified to apply the lashes. Depending on the state, the stylist also needs to be licensed, not just certified."

Richardson also mentions that those undergoing the treatment should take the time to run through the risks with their technicians and ensure they are using a safe adhesive. She suggests avoiding glues that contain formaldehyde, which can irritate the eyes, and adhesives that smell strongly of chemicals.

"Chances are, if the glue smells very chemical, [it's ridden with them] and capable of causing a reaction," Richardson said. "Eyelash adhesives aren't supposed to be formulated with much. There are only three to five ingredients in an adhesive and all components needs to be included to create a strong bonding glue."

Latest Beauty