Miley on Her Art: "Money Can Buy You a Bunch of Sh*t to Glue to a Bunch of Other Sh*t"
Miley Cyrus doesn't want to be a "pop pop dumb dumb," so lately, she's been turning her sights on a new art collection called Dirty Hippie. In Miley's interview with V Magazine, the singer shares the inspiration behind her colourful sculptures, which will be featured in Jeremy Scott's New York Fashion Week show on Wednesday. Each piece is a collage of objects, and she used a range of items, including everything from joints to vibrators to a bedazzled hamster toy. Below, see photos of Miley's work, behind-the-scenes snaps she's shared on Instagram, plus what she had to say about the collection.
- On working on the collection: "I just sit around and smoke weed anyway, so I might as well sit around, smoke weed, and do something. And this is me doing something. I love it. I mean, I'm up until seven in the morning doing this stuff all the time. It was much weirder when I started doing it while I was sober."
- On the featured items: "I did the pineapple because you know what they say about pineapple, right? Yummy cum? If you drink a lot of pineapple juice you're going to have yummy cum. So that's why I put it on the d*ck with a bunch of babies, and it says, 'F*ck.' I try to think about everything so it has a story to me."
- On how art helped her cope: "This seems so f*cking lame to say but I feel like my art became kind of a metaphor — an example of my life. Because a bunch of sh*tty things kept happening. I've always been so f*cking lucky. Everything has always just been easy for me. And at the beginning of this year, I hated 2014 because everything that could go wrong kept going wrong. Being in the hospital, my dog dying . . . Everything just kept sh*tting on me and sh*tting on me. So then I started taking all of those sh*t things and making them good, and being like, I'm using it."
- On her motivation: "I had a bunch of f*cking junk and sh*t, and so instead of letting it be junk and sh*t, I turned it into something that made me happy."
- On why she's turning to art: "Even though to some people, it was just me gluing some things together, to me, it made me not a f*cking pop star dumbass. And that's my goal in my life: to not die a pop pop dumb dumb. I can't. I will freak out."
- On her artistic background: "When I was in school — obviously, I think art is everyone's favourite class — but I would get in trouble because I would always draw f*cked-up things. I don't know why, but I would always draw girls in a bathtub. I remember my teachers calling my parents and being like, 'What the f*ck?'"
- On finding happiness in art: "They say money can't buy happiness and it's totally true. Money can buy you a bunch of sh*t to glue to a bunch of other sh*t that will make you happy, but besides that, there's no more happiness. There's no point in me focusing on getting any f*cking richer. Obviously the sh*t you buy doesn't make you happier because I'm sitting here gluing a bunch of junk to stuff."
Source: Instagram user mileycyrus