She's been caught up in some controversy lately, but Mary-Kate Olsen is also a style icon to many (including me), so it's no surprise that she's the star of this gorgeous cover for Elle's September issue. I really adore this cover, and love that she's holding a coffee cup in the third of those pics, ha! She spoke to Elle about her personal style, clothing lines and a couple of well-known designers also shared their thoughts on her – here's some excerpts of her interview:
- On her unique dress sense: "I love playing dress up. I get inspired by old films, weird things. It could just be the person sitting across from me or it could be a full Victorian costume"
- On media attitudes to her clothing choices: "What I find odd though is that a weekly [magazine] will come out describing my outfit as a fashion disaster, while the fashion industry actually respects what I wear."
- On the Olsens' clothing lines The Row, and Elizabeth and James: "I think more of my energy goes in to Elizabeth and James, [The Row is] Ashley's baby."
To find out Karl Lagerfeld and Margherita Missoni's views on Mary-Kate's style, as well as what she's learned about fashion from working on her own clothing lines with Ashley, just read more
- On her work experiences: "I have so much more respect for fashion designers now because it's hard work and never ending. It's not a movie. You can't wrap it and go start something else."
- Margherita Missoni on MK: "With her you already know future generations will look at her as an icon."
- Karl Lagerfeld is also a big fan of her look: "I like the way Mary-Kate is mixing Chanel with other things, life is not a fashion show, and I find a total designer look boring."
Make sure you check out the full interview (and photo spread) in the September issue of Elle magazine, out tomorrow.