Jake Gyllenhaal is on the front cover of December's Esquire magazine, looking hot in a sharp suit for the photoshoot inside too. He spoke exclusively to them about getting naked in his new movie Love and Other Drugs with Anne Hathaway, their friendship, his sister Maggie and the types of movies he feels most comfortable making. Here's what he said:
- On stripping for Love And Other Drugs: “I was naked a lot in the movie. I was naked in more of it than was even in the final cut. A director’s cut? I don’t even know how that would be rated.”
- On getting Anne Hathaway into bed... on screen: “We talked about what we thought was sexy, about what were the things that interested us, and through the discussion became pretty intimate with each other.”
- On having screen sex with Anne: “Annie and I had already had sex on film (in Brokeback Mountain). There’s something about the way Annie and I both work which is inherently very musical. It’s all about rhythm. There’s a rhythm to writing, there’s a rhythm to sports, there’s a rhythm to sex.”
- On who had it tougher when letting it all hang out: “Annie, because as a woman I think it’s harder. She said at one point, ‘Well, we’re both topless and we both show our butts.’ And I was like, ‘Hmm, but it’s a little different for you.”
To see what Jake had to say about his friendship with Anne, his sister Maggie and where he's most at ease, just read more.
- On his friendship with Anne: “I feel like she’s a comrade. The thing about Anne is that she develops her characters in absolute detail. To the point where she went down to the Lower East Side to buy fluorescent bras for her character. I knew Annie could f**king kill it.”
- On admiration for his sister Maggie: “I admire her and continue to admire her. That might play into the reason I don’t have much of a problem letting the women I’ve worked with shine. I love women.”
- On where he is most at ease: “I think comedy. That’s why I loved working with Robert Downey Jr (on Zodiac). He and I had this similar kind of working. His energy is a bit more frenetic than but in terms of work, we meshed.”
You can read Jake's full interview in the new issue of Esquire, out Nov 4!