Naomi Watts is featured on the front cover of July's Marie Claire, and inside she chats openly about her childhood and her life now. Naomi discusses her father's death when she was seven, talks about her ex Heath Ledger, and the happiness she's found with her fiance Liev Schreiber. Here are some extracts:
- On if it was deliberate to have kids later in life: "God, no! First of all, I didn’t ever think I would be having kids this late. Then two kids under the age of two in diapers – it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but the most rewarding.... As I said, I started every-thing late. My career started late, so by the time I was ready to have children, I felt like I had enough of a body of work under my belt. I was ready to say, ‘OK, let’s slow this down a little bit.’"
- On her first taste of fame: "Everyone said it was an overnight success, but it was ten years leading up to that. You want to think, in retrospect, that you had really thick skin, but ... I was so sensitive. I was hearing bits of feedback and... trying to dilute myself into what I thought they wanted... No wonder nobody hired me. It took someone like David Lynch to see beyond that.... I’m very shy. I’m terrible at parties. I went to a club the other night and felt so awkward and ungroovy. Everyone else looks so cool. It’s just how I’ve always been."
- On if she dealt properly with her Father's death: "No, no. I mean, obviously I was comforted. But my mum was young. When I did 21 Grams, I researched this a lot... There are so many ways to deal with it, and in retrospect... I didn’t deal with my grief at the time... The last time I saw him, I had done something I wasn’t supposed to, and he got cross.... I wished bad things for him that day. Of course [I carry guilt]. I was very young – don’t forget, he died when I was seven – but my parents divorced when I was four, so there weren’t tons of memories."
To read what she has to say about Heath Ledger, and her fiance Liev, just read more.
- Has she seen The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus, Heath’s last film? "No. In time. I’ve always loved Terry Gilliam’s films. And Heath was an unbelievably brilliant talent, I’m sure he’s wonderful to watch. But, yeah, it’s kind of… confronting."
- On when she knew Liev was the one: "I don’t know, because we met here and there before the night we knew something was going to happen. It was never the right time, or we were with other people. But it was spoken about. We’ve got a couple who are our good friends, and they tried to set us up for years. When we finally saw each other at the Met Ball five years ago, we were both single, and we were both very aware of each other in the room. It was kind of an intense chemistry. Definitely. I don’t know about love at first sight, but there was a strong desire for one another."
- On if she's engaged: "Yeah, I took my ring off for the pictures, but… Um… We’re together. We’ll see [about getting married]. It’s never been that important to me. If it was important to our children, I would do it in a heartbeat. We’ll see."
You can read the full interview in Marie Claire magazine, out now in the UK.