Katie Holmes is on the cover of this week's New York Magazine chatting all about her Holmes and Yang clothing line ahead of the upcoming Fashion Week. The working mum has been busy shooting The Kennedys, but she's also going into promotional mode as the release date for her The Romantics nears. Conversation touched on Katie's roles, but things progressed to talking about her well-dressed daughter Suri and life with Tom Cruise. Katie said:
- On Suri being into clothes: "I grew up the youngest of five, so there were a lot of hand-me-downs that I would sort of change up. And Suri and I do that now with her clothes. Or rather, she does it. She says, 'I want this sleeve cut,' and it's like, 'Okay, we'll cut it.' She picks out all of her own clothes and has since she was 1½. Tom and I went to the Met ball a couple of years ago, and I had this beautiful red gown and these royal-blue shoes that I wasn’t planning on wearing, but Suri made me put them on and so I was like, 'Okay, I trust you.'"
- On balancing her schedule with Tom's: "We have quite a schedule, you know? We don't say, 'When I'm working, you don't work,' or anything like that. Last year he was shooting Knight and Day and I was shooting The Romantics, and we'd just fly to see each other after we wrapped. And we homeschool Suri — she has a teacher who is with her every day. We like the one-on-one education. I'm happy that my daughter is strong-willed and determined. You really have to go with what the child is wanting."
- On dealing with all the interest in their marriage: "It's there, it's one of those things. My big concern is what does he have going, what do I have going, what are we going to do this weekend. It must seem weird, I guess, having so many people watching. It is weird. I get it. But you just, you know, smile and nod."
To see what Katie has to say on working with Tom, Suri getting older, and playing Jackie Kennedy, just read more.
- On working with Tom: "Well, we do collaborate on everything at home. But I mean, he's Tom Cruise! His body of work is incredible. Every movie he's done has done really well. I look back, and everything's a classic. I definitely come home and say to him, 'So, imagine a scene . . . how would you play it?' And he's helpful and sweet and gracious. He's quite an incredible human being."
- On Suri growing up: "Her first set was Lions for Lambs, when she was 9 months old, and now she's 4 and she's so creative and she's so bright and so special. Whatever she wants to do, I know she's going to be amazing at it. I've already started my applause, and I will be applauding for the rest of my life."
- On playing Jackie Kennedy: "I'm just focused on creating a character as much as possible without knowing what was going on behind closed doors. In my own life, it's just something that's there. We luckily have security so I can focus on motherhood and work and other things."