Welcome back, members of the PopUK Book Club. Last week we discussed the first section, so now it's time to talk about Book Two: "Brideshead Deserted". Feel free to read ahead, but please don't reveal any spoilers in the comments.
A quick reminder of how the Book Club works is that each week I'll suggest a section to complete by the following Monday, and will post a few questions to start our discussion in the comments section. We'll read a book a month.
After the jump you'll find some questions and topics to get the discussion started, but feel free to write about whatever you found interesting.
The next assignment: Read Book Three and Epilogue by Mon. 29 Sept.
Ready to discuss the second section of Brideshead Revisited? Just read more.
- What factors contributed to Sebastian's descent in to alcoholism?
- How has the power shifted between the characters, compared to the first section?
- We learn more about the role of Catholicism in the Flytes' lives in this second part: has your view on the role that religion plays in the novel changed in light of this?
- What are your thoughts on Julia's relationship with Rex Mottram?
- What effect do you think Lady Marchmain's death will have?