We Really Missed Shailene Woodley and Her Unconventional Quotes
Shailene Woodley looks absolutely stunning on the cover of US Elle's April issue and brings her signature brand of free-spiritedness to the accompanying interview. Shailene — who is keeping busy promoting Insurgent with costars Theo James, Octavia Spencer, and Ansel Elgort — opened up about her upbringing and romantic life and dropped some major inspiration when it comes to falling in love. Here are a few of the most out-there quotes from Shailene's Elle interview — we missed her so much.
- On falling in love: "I'm all-loving. I fall in love with people based on who they are. I never want to love like this [Woodley holds her arms outstretched] — I always want to love like this. [She thrusts her arms behind her back, pressing her chest forward]. Heart centered, like, 'This is who I am! And I love you if you love me for who this person is. And if not, I'll still love you, but I ain't fallin' in love with you!'"
- On how she approaches a relationship: "When you're truly in love, for me, it's . . . you're my lighthouse! You're somebody who holds me high, keeps me safe, you've got my f*ckin' back. You also love me whole, wild, and free. You let me do me, and I'm gonna let you do you! And I'll be the home that you return to."
- On her family: "I was born into a family of warriors, really strong people. It doesn't mean that it was an easy childhood and we didn't have our sh*t, because every family does behind closed doors. But even though my parents are divorced, they get along. I have a family who every day strives to do the right thing."
- On the best advice her grandmother gave her: "One day I was having one of my teenage crises, when you think everything's falling apart — your estrogen and progesterone are freaking out. And she said, 'Shai, the most important thing in life is self-love. You've gotta take care of yourself. You've got to take care of yourself, and you gotta live from your deep heart.'"
- On her intuition: "What I've come to determine in my life is that my deep heart is my — it's my compassion, empathy, and intuition. Because your intuition never wants to be mean to somebody. You intuitively know that another human being on this planet is hurting just as badly as you may be. The way that they express themselves could be rude or seen as douchey or whatnot. But maybe they're scared, or had no one there to support them."
- On her grandma's "banging" body: "My Grams is the most banging 69-year-old I've ever met in my life. She's so fit. She's so rad!"