Why We Thought He Was "A":
- Caleb is easily the most tech-savvy character on the show. It would make "A"'s technological prowess much more believable.
- As we mentioned with Paige, Caleb was one of three characters considered for the big "A" team reveal. While it was ultimately Toby, the fact that it was almost Caleb says a lot.
- Caleb always seems to be pushing Hanna for new details about the mystery and about the girls. He could be trying to dig up as much dirt as possible.
- Let's not forget that Caleb initially started dating Hanna because Jenna wanted him to spy on her. If that's not sketchy, we don't know what is.
- Going back (again) to Mrs. Grunwald's comments from the Halloween episode, Caleb is another character who fits into the context of her words.
- Caleb hasn't really fallen victim to any of "A"'s madness. We do know his mother is supposedly threatened in California at some point, but we never see any evidence to confirm what actually happens.
Why We Figured He Wasn't "A":
- Seeing as Caleb ends up sticking around in Ravenswood to figure out some of his own life's mysteries, it wouldn't make sense for him to be able to run the "A" game at the same time.
- In the end, all of Caleb's actions seem to be attempts to protect Hanna. If he secretly hates her and the rest of the girls, he's really good at hiding it.
- Near the end of season 5, Caleb and Ezra are attacked by "A" with a slew of arrows. "A" then terrorises and ties up Mike, all while Caleb and Ezra are looking for him. It seems impossible for Caleb to have been in both places at once.