The Major Players
The cast of the novel is very small. Only two women answer Montague's letters, and then a handful of other characters enter the fold by other means. Here are all the main players:
- Dr. Montague: We've already mentioned our main guy. Without him, the whole story wouldn't have happened in the first place.
- Eleanor Vance: Following the death of her mother, Eleanor is looking for the next thing to do. When her invitation to Hill House arrives, she jumps at the chance to go.
- Theodora: This one comes to Hill House looking for an escape. In fact, she's recently been in a fight with her roommate and needs somewhere to sleep while things settle down.
- Luke Sanderson: Luke is the young heir to the Hill House. His aunt, who owns the house currently, is the one who convinces Montague to let him stay.
- Mr. and Mrs. Dudley: The two caretakers at Hill House. They don't like sticking around at night, though.
- Mrs. Montague: She's the wife of our good friend and doctor. She brings along a friend as well. With an interest in the house and its occurrences, she spends a weekend there.
- Arthur Parker: Mrs. Montague's friend, the headmaster of a boys' school who also is curious about Hill House and its haunted history.