Miu Miu’s Autumn/Winter Catwalk Is a Feel-Good Trip Through the Decades
Miuccia Prada carries a lot of weight on her shoulders each season. Along with Milan's must-see Prada show, she's also in charge of bringing Fashion Month to a close with her Miu Miu collection in Paris. But the story she tells on the runway jolts us back to life, if just for one more show. Her Autumn'16 trip through the decades was no different — playful as always, but impactful.
A tale that began in the late '60s with "I Heard It Through the Grape Vine" and full denim outfits decorated with panels of velvet, doily collars, and patches, quickly took a turn to earlier days. Long jacquard coats and skirts came complete with matching bags and were met with sweater and cardigan sets. The music slowed. Furry pearl slippers took the runway, one hot-pink pair finishing an argyle look, the spitting image of Betty Draper getting a pedicure.
Accessory-wise, pearls, ribbons, bows — the girliest embellishments you can imagine — finished floral Mary Janes, the edges of cat-eye sunglasses, and dainty chainstrap purses. But all that was combatted with structure in the form of tough military parkas and Rosie the Riveter-style denim jackets.
Miuccia cast one of the most supermodel-packed lineups we've seen yet. Gigi Hadid and her sister Bella walked, and Kendall Jenner, Joan Smalls, Sara Sampaio, Taylor Hill, Binx Walton, and Irina Shayk were there too. But we were pleasantly surprised to see the likes of Emily Ratajkowski and Lara Stone working their curves in cleavage-sweeping satin dresses.
- Trends and Inspirations: Denim on denim, '50s collars and cardigans, feminine details.
- Colours: Sky blue, pale yellow, and military green, with pops of red and purple.
- Shoes: Furry pearl sliders, ribbon-finished booties and floral Mary Janes, velvet bedazzled pumps.
- Don't Miss: The red carpet dresses we expect to see on the likes of Léa Seydoux, Elle Fanning, and Elizabeth Olsen.
- Who Would Wear It: The independent woman.