Valentino Couture Fall 2012
Pier Paolo Piccioli and Maria Grazia Chiuri showed Valentino's Fall 2012 Couture collection at Hotel Salomon yesterday to a star-studded front row that included Clémence Poésy, Olivia Palermo, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. The show, which brought Paris Couture Fashion Week to a close, was inspired by French symbolist painter and "lover of dark colours" Gustave Moreau. Midnight blue plissé dresses and evening gowns in lace and silk chiffon with sheer panels contributed to the nocturnal mood, as did the matching crepe capes. Round and gull-wing necklines topped the ethereal dresses as well as the plainer, fuller satin gowns in scarlet and dusty pink. Many of the jumpsuits and trouser suits that followed were embroidered with gold thread and beads, teamed with brocade sculpted coats and the mini trend of this couture season, attention-grabbing beaded cardigans. Check out more details from the collection below, then click the slideshow to see the rest of the catwalk.
- Trends: Feminine silk chiffon and lace gowns, full satin dresses, embellished jumpsuits and trouser suits, embroidered capes.
- Colours: Midnight blue, black, dusty pink, scarlet red, gold.
- Key Piece: The midnight blue lace and silk chiffon gown and matching cape will look stunning on the red carpet.
- Accessories: Low-heeled square-toed ballet pumps.
- Who Would Wear It: Ethereal red carpet beauties like Keira Knightley, Florence Welch and Anne Hathaway.