It's kind of insane how many different types of fitness are readily available to anyone living in a major city. As a New Yorker myself, I've always known how fortunate I am to have an Equinox in every neighbourhood and the cream of the crop of hot yoga options at every turn, which is exactly why I was on the antsy side planning a trip to Florence, Italy, earlier this month. Things to look forward to: endless amounts of pasta, gelato, fresh breads (albeit unsalted), and wine. What I wasn't exactly anticipating: the inevitable weight gain that's comes hand in hand with gluttonous travel.
Cue this full-body, no-equipment workout.
My HomeAway apartment had loads of space for activities, including this five-move burner that ramped my heart rate up real quick. And since the whole thing takes less than 20 minutes, I was able to get in my fitness, change clothes, and get to touristing (on the days I didn't pair it with a run around the city). Check out my go-to essential no-equipment workout ahead.
Do: Do each move for one minute before moving onto the next. On moves that require you to repeat on the opposite side, swap after 30 seconds. At the end of the round, rest one minute before repeating the circuit. Do the entire circuit three times total.
- Lower into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor.
- Do a squat thrust by jumping your feet back into a plank position.
- Do one basic push-up, bending the elbows and then straightening back to plank.
- Jump the feet forward to the hands and come into a squat. Do an explosive jump straight up, getting as much height as you can. This counts as one rep. Continue for 60 seconds.
Alternating Forward Lunge
- Start with your feet together. Step forward into a lunge (knee shouldn't extend past your toes) and lower slowly for five seconds.
- Push through front heel to return to stand. This counts as one rep. Continue for 30 seconds; repeat on opposite side.
- Lie on your back and open your legs into a diamond shape (aka butterfly legs) with the soles of your feet pressed together and knees out wide.
- Extend the arms overhead. Inhale to curl the torso up and tap the floor in front of your feet to stretch your glutes a bit.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position. This counts as one rep. Repeat for 60 seconds.
Side Plank With Leg Lift
- Place your left elbow on the ground. Extend both legs out so that your body is in one straight line, balancing on the outside edge of your left foot.
- Flex both feet and reach your right hand to the ceiling or place on your right hip.
Keeping your spine lengthened and your abs engaged, lift your right leg up just higher than your top hip.
- Then slowly lower it back to your bottom leg. This counts as one rep. Continue for 30 seconds on this side; repeat on opposite side.
- Sit on the ground with your feet flat on the floor, hands on the ground next to your butt with fingertips facing toward your heels.
- Straighten your arms, keeping a little bend in your elbows to keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at about a 90-degree angle.
- Once you reach the bottom of the movement, press down into the floor to straighten your elbows, returning to the starting position for one rep. Repeat for 60 seconds.