Who said comfort food couldn't be good for you? This oh-so-creamy, warm, and delicious homemade dish is like a combination of mac and cheese and pesto pasta. But it's much healthier.
This recipe is made without an ounce of milk or cheese. The creaminess comes from fibre-rich avocado, which is also an excellent source of healthy fats that your body needs to feel full and satisfied after a meal.
Add in the fresh flavours of basil, garlic, and lemon juice, and this pasta recipe is sure to become a favourite in your dinner rotation. And bonus — it comes together in 20 minutes and makes great lunch leftovers.
This is a very basic recipe, so feel free to doll it up by adding roasted veg, beans, or sautéed tofu. And of course, if you're avoiding gluten, just use rice or quinoa pasta instead.
This dish tastes delicious served warm or at room temperature.
- 230 grams uncooked pasta (I used spaghetti)
1 ripe avocado, just the flesh
10 grams fresh basil leaves
1 small garlic clove
Juice from half a lemon (1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
175 grams cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the avocado, basil, garlic clove, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to a food processor. Blend until a smooth, creamy sauce forms.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly and transfer to a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the tomatoes now if you're using them.
- Pour on the avocado basil sauce and stir until well combined. Enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving