This recipe can also be made for a crowd using a large shallow baking dish instead of individual-sized tapas bowls.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
780 gram can whole tomatoes in juice, drained (reserving juice) and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 large eggs
12 long shavings (about 45 grams) pecorino Romano cheese
Slices of crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400º F/ 200°C/ 180 Fan/ gas mark 6. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat; stir in onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, several minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes; add red pepper flakes, ground cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and sugar. Turn heat down to low, then simmer until tomatoes have further broken down, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a ladle, transfer sauce to four 6-inch shallow gratin dishes or tapas dishes. Crack 2 eggs into each dish. Bake until whites are set, about 25 minutes, rotating halfway through (yolks will still be runny).
- Top each dish with three long pecorino shavings; serve immediately with grilled bread.
Makes 4 servings.
- Main Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern