It's easy to get stuck in a seasonal food rut, but there are benefits to letting your Autumn favourites go in favour of meals that use fresh Spring produce. One quick and easy recipe that'll put a spring in your step is this colourful salad that boasts the antioxidant benefits of beetroot and orange with the added filling and fibre-full wonder of lentils. Next time you crave something light and refreshing, rustle up this simple salad that'll be a mainstay on your springtime menu.
Beetroot tends to stain, so use food gloves when peeling.
- 1/2 medium orange
- 1 Spring onion
- 1 handful salad leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 80 grams green lentils (tinned or ready cooked)
- Zest from half an orange
- 110 grams beetroot, raw
- 2 teaspoons oil of your choice (this recipe uses Udo's oil)
- Rinse and drain the lentils and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Peel the raw beetroot and grate it finely before adding it to the lentils.
- Add the sliced Spring onion, chopped mint, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest, and the peeled and segmented orange, plus any juice. Mix well.
- Finish off by seasoning the salad to your taste and serve on a bed of mixed salad leaves.
- 1 serving