Even if you've decided to cut back on dairy, it's possible to warm up with a creamy bowl of hot soup that doesn't lay on the cream or calories too heavily. This light pumpkin-coconut bisque will curb your dairy cravings and keep you on track this Autumn.
The ingredient that really makes this subtle soup stand out is the unsweetened coconut milk. Both vegan- and Paleo-friendly, this ingredient thickens things up, leaving you with the perfect (seemingly rich) texture.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
115 grams chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
700 grams solid-pack pumpkin, canned
480 mL low-salt vegetable broth
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
360 mL unsweetened coconut milk, divided
Salt and pepper
Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth, sugar, allspice, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until flavours blend, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. Bring the soup to a simmer, thinning with coconut milk to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds, drizzle with a teaspoon of coconut milk, and serve.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- Serves six
- Calories per serving