If you're on the hunt for a new way to enjoy eggs, try this play on the traditional Middle Eastern dish shakshuka that satisfies as a special Summer breakfast or post-workout dinner. With more than 20 grams of protein and nearly 40 percent of your recommended fibre for the day, this 350-calorie meal consists of perfectly poached eggs swimming in a fragrant and spicy tomato-sauce bath. To amp things up in the nutrition department, garbanzo beans are added for even more protein and Swiss chard adds vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 white onion, diced
82 grams chickpeas, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
350 grams Swiss or red chard, chopped
Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add chickpeas and sauté for another three minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Swiss chard and cook down for about one minute.
- Make six little wells in the tomato and chard mixture, and add eggs to the skillet slowly.
- Move the skillet to the preheated oven, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the whites are set.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, serve, and enjoy.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving