Dreading the next Summer barbecue because you're sick of eating burgers and hot dogs? Your belly is going to thank you for making this refreshing salad instead. Crafted with basic ingredients, it's not only low in calories, but it's also a great way to use up the cucumbers, tomatoes, and cilantro bursting from your garden. We don't blame you if you eat this salad every single day — it's that good.
At under 300 calories, one serving offers almost 12 grams of fibre and 10 grams of protein, so after enjoying one crunchy bite after another, you'll feel full, satisfied, and energised. With such a high fibre and water content, this recipe will be the weapon you need to prevent the dreaded bloated belly. And on a hot Summer day, the fresh, juicy flavours are just what you crave.
This salad is all about the veg, more like a salsa-meets-salad without a traditional dressing. But if you prefer your salad dressed, whip up this lime vinaigrette. It also tastes better after marinating in the lime juice for a while, so you could easily make this the night before eating.
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 220 grams corn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 150 grams cherry tomatoes (I used half red, half yellow)
- 25 grams packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cucumber, black beans, corn, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, and chopped cilantro in a bowl. Squeeze the fresh juice from the lime onto the salad, and stir well.
- Mix in the avocado, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Cook Time
- 15 mins
- Calories per serving