If you have five minutes in the morning, you have enough time to make yourself a bowl of fluffy, filling and oh-so-tasty banana egg white oatmeal.
I had plans to make this recipe today, photograph it and then place it in the fridge to eat for breakfast tomorrow. Well, that plan lasted all of five seconds. Apparently I love this recipe even more than I realised because I couldn't resist it for lunch today. I'm no stranger to eating oatmeal for dinner on occasion, so why not lunch, too?
I started adding egg whites to my morning oatmeal a long time ago in an effort to make my oats a little more filling. I've added nut butter and protein powder to my oats in the past to give them a little more staying power, but egg whites are my favourite addition because they make the oatmeal fluffier in addition to making them more filling.
The oats taste light and airy and not nearly as dense as typical oatmeal. The addition of a super-ripe banana gives them a punch of natural sweetness I adore as well!
After three minutes in the microwave, breakfast is ready, and from start to finish, this recipe takes about five minutes. Not too shabby!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Depending on the ripeness of the banana, you may wish for the oats to be a little sweeter. If this is the case, add a drizzle of honey, and then you'll be good to go!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (you may use regular oats, but the cooking time will be a little longer)
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I typically use almond milk)
- 3/4 cup liquid egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton to make them easy to measure and pour)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and mash banana.
- Stir banana and remaining ingredients together in a medium-size bowl, with room at the top so the oats can "grow" in the microwave without overflowing.
- Microwave on high for three minutes, stirring after 75 seconds and then again every 30 to 45 seconds until three minutes are up.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy (my personal favorites are peanut butter, chopped almonds, fresh berries and pumpkin pie spice).
- Breakfast/Brunch, Eggs
- Serves 1 Person
- Total Time
- 5 minutes