What's the secret to making a pasta-less mac and cheese just as irresistible as the classic? Cauliflower. The cruciferous vegetable is the perfect vehicle for a cheesy, creamy sauce made from cheese, coconut milk, butter, and coconut flour. While the resulting dish is gluten-free and under 400 calories, note that it's high in saturated fat, so enjoy this comforting dish in moderation.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 can (13.6 ounces) light coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets and cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt three tablespoons butter. Cook the onion, stirring for five minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Stir in the coconut flour and cook, stirring constantly for three minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the coconut milk, mustard, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar and cauliflower until blended. Pour into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the parmesan, flaxseeds, and the remaining two tablespoons butter. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling and lightly browned.
- Main Dishes
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving