Winter always brings with it the urge to get cosy and indulge in filling comfort food. Satisfy your cravings this season with a chicken and vegetable broth straight from the chefs at the BBC's Good Food Show. Not only will it beat the chilly weather, but it's also packed with healthy ingredients including cold-fighting ginger.
- olive oil for cooking
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed, and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped root ginger
- 2 free-range boneless chicken breasts, about 170g each, skinned and diced
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g medium egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium-low heat and add 1–2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the carrots and celeriac and sweat gently for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the leeks, fennel, garlic, and ginger and sweat for a further 2–3 minutes.
- Throw in the diced chicken and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the bouquet garni and some salt and pepper. Simmer the broth gently for 12 minutes.
- Drop the egg noodles into the stock and cook for a further 5 minutes or until they're cooked through.
- After you've tasted and adjusted the seasoning, scatter the chopped parsley and sliced spring onions over the broth to serve.
- Soups/Stews, Stock/Broth
- 4 servings