You love pizza, you love pizza, and apparently Kayla Itsines loves pizza, too. The superstar Australian trainer pays homage to her Greek heritage and fuses it with her affinity for pizza with this tasty, lightened up, wholesome recipe that looks absolutely delectable — one she says is "perfect for a Friday night in."
In her new clean-eating book, The Bikini Body 28-Day Healthy Eating & Lifestyle Guide, she describes this meal for two as a hybrid of whole wheat pizza and a Greek gyro, saying, "Love a good gyro or lamb on the spit? Then you are definitely going to love this pizza! It has all of the same Greek flavours and is super easy to put together."
- Oil spray
1 garlic clove, crushed
120 grams lean ground lamb
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 whole wheat pita breads
75 grams tomato puree
1 large handful baby spinach leaves
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
8 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
30 grams salt-reduced low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Yogurt Sauce
100 grams low-fat plain yoghurt
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
Lemon juice, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (325°F convection) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat and spray lightly with oil spray. Add the garlic and ground lamb and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to break the meat up. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Lay the pita breads on a clean work surface and spread over the tomato puree. Sprinkle over the spinach, lamb, onion, tomato, olives, and feta.
- Place the pizzas on the lined baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the toppings are hot and the edges are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make the yogurt sauce, whisk the yoghurt, garlic, and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- To serve, top the pizzas with the yoghurt sauce.