Nothing beats a dish that can do double duty, much like this recipe from Lorna Jane Clarkson. Whether you choose to enjoy it as a hearty salad or a satisfying side dish, you'll love the flavours and the bountiful nutrition it contains. Each forkful will give you a punch of protein, fibre, and antioxidants — it doesn't get much better than this.
- For the salad:
- 105 grams dried chickpeas
- 110 grams cup pearl barley
- 125 grams green beans, trimmed
- 450 grams pumpkin (or other squash), unpeeled, sliced thinly
- 4 baby beets, peeled, trimmed, and quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- For the maple and thyme dressing:
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Place the chickpeas in a small bowl, cover with cold water, let stand overnight, and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/ 200°C/ 180 Fan/ gas mark 6.
- Cook the chickpeas and barley in a medium saucepan of boiling water, about 20 minutes or until tender. Add the green beans to the pan at the last minute of cooking time. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Drain.
- To make the maple and thyme dressing, combine all the ingredients in a screw-top jar, season to taste, and shake well to combine.
- Combine the pumpkin and beets with two tablespoons of the dressing in a small lined baking dish. Roast about 20 minutes or until caramelised and tender.
- Combine the barley, chickpeas, beans, pumpkin, beets, and the remaining dressing in a medium bowl. Toss gently. Serve the salad sprinkled with the cheese and pumpkin seeds.
- Main Dishes
- 2 servings