Colourful chopped veg and beans (kidney, garbanzo, and black!) steal the show in this mason jar salad, making for a high-fibre, high-protein, filling lunch. It's perfect if you're trying to lose weight but are also cutting back on meat and dairy.
At just under 500 calories, each salad offers over 20 grams of both protein and fibre. Now that's one way to stay full (and regular!)
The best part is that you can make a week's worth of these three-bean salads all at once and it'll only take 40 minutes. Having healthy lunches prepped will not only help you stay on the healthy track, but you'll save money not buying overpriced salads from the nearby cafe. And probably most importantly, you'll save precious morning minutes and won't be completely stressed out having to quickly throw lunch together while trying to do a million other things. Just grab your jar and go.
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
6 medium carrots, diced
8 stalks celery, sliced
1 420-gram can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 420-gram can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cucumber, diced
175 grams spinach
2 avocados, diced
5 tablespoons walnuts (or almonds, sunflower seeds, or pecans), chopped
10 tablespoons dressing (I used Annie's Gingerly Vinaigrette)
- After all the beans are rinsed and the veg washed and cut, start layering them in the wide-mouth mason jars.
- If you prefer the dressing on the bottom, add that first. If not, you can wait and add the dressing when you're ready to eat. Add the ingredients in whatever order you like. I did kidney beans, carrots, celery, chickpeas, red peppers, yellow peppers, black beans, cucumbers, spinach, avocado, a generous spritz of fresh lemon juice (to prevent the avocado from browning), and the walnuts on top.
- Secure each lid and store in the fridge.
- Once you're ready to eat, add the dressing if you haven't already, then give it a good shake. Eat right out of the jar or pour it into a large bowl if you prefer.
- 5 salads
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving