Losing fat does require healthy eating and smart portions, but it doesn't mean sacrificing all your favourite indulgences for good. The 80/20 rule is all about giving it your all 80 percent of the time (think clean, whole foods), with the freedom to eat as you please for the remaining 20 percent. Online fitness coach Chad Driscoll shared a photo on Instagram showing the correct way to follow this strategy.
"You can still achieve your goals while having good nutrition 80 percent of the time," he wrote in his caption. "The key is accepting your goals will not come to reality overnight and it may take months, years to get there. Once that happens you can understand how enjoying some treats during the week won't kill your progress."
Here's your week broken down as shown above:
- Monday: Eat clean 80 percent of the day.
- Tuesday: Eat clean 100 percent of the day.
- Wednesday: Eat clean 60 percent of the day.
- Thursday: Eat clean 100 percent of the day.
- Friday: Eat clean 80 percent of the day.
- Saturday: Eat clean 60 percent of the day.
- Sunday: Eat clean 80 percent of the day.
This should average out to an 80 percent clean diet. Follow this plan while mixing some form of HIIT cardio and strength training into your routine, and you should be well on your way to seeing progress!