If warmer weather inspires you to trade your hot oatmeal or veggie omelet for a cold and creamy smoothie, it's important not to just throw ingredients in the blender and hope for the best. Too much fruit will spike your insulin and make you hungry soon after, so be sure to aim for 15 to 30 grams of protein. Add these protein-packed ingredients to your favourite recipe.
- Protein powder: Probably the most popular way to increase the protein in your sippable breakfast, a serving of protein powder is around 150 calories and offers 20 to 30 grams of protein. Try this iced coffee protein smoothie (22.1 grams).
- Beans: This sounds strange, but you can add any type of cooked beans including cannellini, black, or garbanzo. Beans add creaminess once blended up, and aside from protein, they also offer filling fibre. Sip on this metabolism-boosting smoothie (30.4 grams).
- Nuts and nut butters: Offering protein to satiate hunger, nuts and nut butters also offer healthy fats that contribute to that full feeling. Almonds, peanuts, pecans, raw cashews — anything goes! Mix up this chocolate banana cashew smoothie (15.2 grams).
- Seeds: These tiny gems offer protein, fibre, and healthy fats. Sprinkle in some pumpkin, chia, sunflower, sesame, or flaxseeds. Whip up this honeydew protein smoothie (36.4 grams).
- Oats: A great source of slow-digesting carbs, rolled oats add protein, fibre, and creaminess. Try this banana cream overnight oats smoothie (14.2 grams) — soaking the oats overnight makes this smoothie thick like a milkshake.
- Soy milk: Skip the almond or cashew milk and opt for soy. One cup of organic unsweetened soy milk offers seven grams of protein (almond milk only has one gram). Blend up this chocolate milkshake smoothie (22.1 grams).
- yoghurt: An easy protein source, if you're avoiding dairy, go for soy or almond. Get a flat belly with this pineapple kale protein smoothie (15 grams).
- Cottage cheese: Another weird-sounding smoothie ingredient, cottage cheese adds protein and creaminess. Get your fill with this strawberry protein smoothie (33.8 grams).
- Tofu: Low in carbs and cals, add soft tofu to your blender for extra protein and a velvety texture. You can't taste it at all! Make this strawberry banana spinach smoothie (16.1 grams).