When we came across this recipe from Chef Caroline Byron, we were blown away. It has so many of our favourite elements wrapped into one: matcha, coconut, no dairy, and only four (all natural) ingredients? Sign. Us. Up.
Matcha has a wonderful adaptogenic quality; adaptogens adjust to your body's needs, giving you energy when you need it and calming you when you're jittery. Coconut milk offers healthy, satiating fats, while aiding in digestion. Put the matcha in the coconut and blend it all up for a deliciously decadent dessert that's totally good for you.
Optional: for a richer green colour, add 2 tablespoons liquid chlorophyll. Caroline also tops her ice cream with black sesame seeds.
- 240 ml full fat coconut milk
240 ml unsweetened coconut milk (or almond milk)
85 grams local honey
2-3 tablespoons green tea matcha
- Chill the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer ahead of time.
- In a high-speed blender, blend canned coconut milk, unsweetened coconut milk (or almond milk), honey, and matcha powder until everything is well combined.
- If you are using the liquid chlorophyll, you will want to blend this in as well.
- Take mixed ingredients, put them in the ice cream maker bowl, and turn the machine on for 25-35 minutes, or until it reaches desired consistency of soft-serve.
- Scrape the ice cream into your freezer container or large loaf pan. Press a piece of parchment or wax paper against the surface to prevent ice crystals from forming.
- Transfer the container of ice cream to the freezer and freeze for at least four hours to harden the ice cream. If your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it warm a few minutes on the counter before serving.
- North American
- Total Time
- 4 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds