When I ditched dairy over the Summer, I didn't realise how my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup obsession would be affected. I'm not gonna lie — Halloween and Christmas were really tough, having to live without that perfect marriage of chocolate and peanut butter. But having to give it up for Valentine's Day is just too much to bear.
You can make these almond butter cups that are dairy-free, but if you also need to avoid nuts, your sweet tooth-dreams just came true. These chocolate cups are filled with a sunflower seed and date mixture that — let me tell you — tastes even more decadent than Reese's. And bonus — you get to use these adorable candy moulds, so you feel like an actual chocolatier.
These babies are 52 calories apiece and offer 1 gram of protein and 0.7 grams of fibre. They take 40 minutes to whip up, and everyone will be so impressed with your candy-making skills.
If you don't have a chocolate mould, just use mini silicone or parchment paper muffin cups. You'll just need to make fewer since these are bigger.
- 175 grams dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli minichips)
70 grams roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
10 small dates, pitted
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Buy 2 silicone chocolate moulds (15 piece).
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. Do this slowly on low heat to prevent burning the chocolate.
- Pour a small scoop of the melted chocolate into the bottom of each cup and use a small spoon to coat the chocolate all the way up the sides. Do 28 cups.
- Place the pan in the fridge to set for a few minutes while you make the filling.
- Make the sunbutter-date filling by adding the sunflower seeds, dates, and sea salt in a food processor until a thick mixture forms.
- Remove the chocolate cups from the fridge and place a bit of filling in each cup, using your fingertip to press the filling in firmly.
- Pour a dollop of melted chocolate on top of each cup, covering the sunbutter-date filling, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- Place in the fridge for another 10 minutes to set.
Source: Calorie Count
- 28 pieces
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving