There are many reasons oatmeal is one of the best foods for weight loss: it can decrease cholesterol and help you drop pounds, it keeps you full, it helps with digestion, and it keeps your blood sugar levels steady.
So let's make weight loss even easier by looking at ways to hack your standard oatmeal. We've rounded up some of the best tricks and tips to keep you on your oatmeal A game, losing or maintaining weight, and feeling good.
- Add a boost of filling protein with chickpeas. More protein, more satiety, less chance of snacking later.
- Add chia seeds to debloat, up protein, and boost digestion.
- Add hemp seeds to increase the protein even more while keeping it low-carb.
- Make it the night before as overnight oats. No morning cook time!
- Mix in some protein powder for a nutritional boost. Protein oats!
- Layer in nut butter for a filling, tasty twist.
- Make multiple servings of overnight oats on a meal prep day to eat right all week.
- Make it in a slow cooker. It's a warm version of overnight oats with zero cook time in the morning.
- Control portions with smaller mason jars to help you lose weight.
- Try different flavour combinations to keep things fresh so you're not tempted to binge on something else.
- Make big batches of it and freeze it to reheat on the fly in the morning.
- Choose steel-cut oats — they have a lower glycemic index and can keep your blood sugar even more stable than rolled oats.