If you're used to baking with butter, allow me to throw some numbers your way. Four tablespoons of butter is 407 calories. But if you swap it out for one avocado, you're looking at just 322 calories, and this fruit also offers 13.5 grams of fibre and almost 1,000 grams of potassium — you can't say that about butter! Think there's no way your baked goods will taste as good? This pumpkin muffin recipe is living proof that just may convince you to never want to bake with butter again.
You'll fall in love with these perfectly spiced muffins after just one bite. And because there isn't any butter, these are also unbelievably light (and not at all dense like you might think). The high fibre content and healthy fats found in avocados make these muffins extrafilling, keeping you satisfied for hours — perfect for part of a well-rounded breakfast.
You'll have a hard time stopping at just one muffin, but that's OK, because they're just 144 calories each. So what are you waiting for? Your new favourite Autumn recipe is just waiting to be made.
- 230 grams white whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 avocado, peeled and pitted, mashed
1 banana, mashed
225 grams pumpkin puree
150 grams sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 apple, peeled and chopped
10 pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ 160 Fan. Put 16 cupcake wrappers in two muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, add the avocado, banana, pumpkin, eggs, sugar, and vanilla, and mix until smooth. Fold in the apple.
- Fill muffin tins evenly, sprinkle with pecans, and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Source: Calorie Count
- 16 muffins
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving