Craving the crunch of crisps but on a Paleo diet? Welcome these seaweed crisps to your snack-time rotation. They're cholesterol-free, high in vitamin A, and seven of these spicy seaweed crisps are only 42 calories. Even if you don't love raw seaweed, you'll find that the texture and flavour of this nutrient-rich dense sea vegetable changes after a quick pop in the oven. It only takes some simple preparation before you'll be snacking away.
Keep reading for this Paleo recipe.
- 12 nori sheets
- 60 mL water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 275°F/ 140°C/ Fan 120. Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place six sheets of nori, shiny side up, on the baking sheet. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the shiny side of the nori with water, be sure to reach the edges, then carefully align another sheet of nori on top and press them together. Repeat with the remaining sheets until they're buddied up.
- Using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the nori into one-inch strips, then cut those strips in half crosswise. You will end up with about 42 crisps. Arrange the crisps in a single layer on the baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, sesame oil, and cayenne. Use the pastry brush to coat the top of the chips, then sprinkle generously with salt. Use your fingers to sprinkle sesame seeds across the tops of the crisps.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. They will turn a deep, glossy green. Remove from the oven, taste, and sprinkle with salt if you like. Allow them to cool before eating for maximum crunch.
- Serves 6
- Calories per serving
- 42 per seven-crisp serving