Though the recipe calls for English hothouse cucumbers, I swapped in the smaller Persian cucumbers, which still tasted very good. Slice the cucumbers very thin with a mandoline if you have one or a sharp chef's knife, which is what I used.
- 2 English hothouse cucumbers (1 1/2 pounds total), unpeeled, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
120 ml distilled white vinegar
14 grams finely chopped fresh dill
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cucumber slices in the colander. Sprinkle with the salt; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing, stir the vinegar, dill, sugar, and pepper in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Drain the cucumbers well; pat dry. Add the cucumbers to the dressing, and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours; serve cold.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Side Dishes