If you're loving packing salads in a mason jar like this taco salad, don't limit yourself just to green salads. Here's a salad that includes cooked quinoa and roasted sweet potatoes to make your salad extra fibrelicious and filling. You'll stay satisfied longer, which means no need to reach for extra calories later in the day. And this homemade mango vinaigrette is so sweet, you won't even need dessert afterward.
- For the salad:
- 1 small sweet potato, unpeeled, diced into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
50 grams quinoa
85 grams black beans
1/4 red pepper, diced
60 grams greens (you choose)
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1 tablespoon salted sunflower seeds
- For the dressing:
- 40 grams mango, fresh or frozen
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl, add oil, and stir to coat. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a pan, and roast for 20 or so minutes, stirring a couple times, until the potatoes are soft.
- Place the quinoa and half a cup of water in a covered pot on high. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is all soaked up and the quinoa is tender.
- Puree the mango with the balsamic vinegar and water, and set aside.
- Allow the roasted potatoes and quinoa to cool to room temperature.
- Start layering the salad in the jar beginning with the black beans. Add the cooked quinoa, and pour the mango balsamic vinaigrette on top.
- Top with diced red pepper, greens, roasted sweet potatoes, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds.
- Screw top on securely, and store in the fridge.
- When you're ready to eat, give the jar a good shake to mix everything up and enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving