Savoury, smooth, and hearty, traditional split pea soup is made with cured ham to give it that signature salty flavour. But you can easily omit the meat and make the soup with celery and sweet potatoes for a delicious vegan twist. This soup only needs to simmer for a couple hours and is around 250 calories per fibre- and protein-packed bowl.
Keep reading to learn how to make this six-ingredient soup tonight.
- 450 grams green split peas
5 celery stalks, sliced
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1900 ml vegetable broth
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and drain the peas, removing any stones.
- Pour the peas, celery, onion, garlic, and veggie broth in a big pot with the top on. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer, cracking the top open slightly.
- Stir occasionally, cooking on low for 2 hours. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the peas are soft and the soup looks creamy. Season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings. Here's the nutritional info for 1 serving:
- 8 servings
- Total Time
- 2 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving