If you're craving mac and cheese but are trying to cut back on pasta, this recipe is for you. Cheesy, creamy, and under 315 calories, this recipe lets shredded broccoli stand in for traditional pasta, so you won't leave the table feeling overstuffed and bloated from all that gluten. This recipe is delicious on its own, but it could also be cut in half (or shared) as a side dish with an additional source of protein. A piece of grilled chicken or lean steak would be tasty on top.
- 180 grams shredded broccoli
5 grape tomatoes, sliced
1/2 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free flour
60 ml unsweetened almond milk
50 grams shredded cheese of your choice (I used equal parts part-skim mozzarella and cheddar)
- Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove.
- Add broccoli, sliced tomatoes, and 60 ml of water. Stirring occasionally, cook until water has evaporated and broccoli has softened slightly, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another large skillet to low heat, and melt your ghee. Once it's melted, add the gluten-free flour of your choice, and whisk together until the flour absorbs the butter and the mixture thickens. Then, add your almond milk, and continue whisking until your sauce is nice and creamy.
- Add the cooked broccoli and shredded cheese to the large skillet with the sauce, and mix to combine.
- Serve up your mac and cheese, and dig in!
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving