When you make a commitment to Whole30, you agree to give up a lot: booze, cheese, creamer, even peanut butter. But you may think twice about that commitment when you realise that it could mean giving up your beloved Starbucks break as well. How are you going to power through the morning? What will you turn to when you need a second wind?
Good news: you can still sip on some coffee or tea while staying within the guidelines of Whole30. The drinks below have no added sugar (which we even confirmed with a Starbucks spokesperson), and you can add Whole30-approved spices or flavoured Nutpods to make your morning — or early afternoon — cuppa even more delightful. Here's what and how to order:
- Brewed Coffee: Whole30ers can enjoy a freshly brewed coffee in a variety of roasts. Drink yours black or Bulletproof, or add some spices or a flavoured Nutpod for some extra flavour.
- Caffè Americano: The Caffè Americano is made with only water and espresso and clocks in at 15 calories per serving. Add a dash of cinnamon or turmeric for an added kick.
- Iced Green Tea: The blend of green tea, spearmint, and lemon verbena makes this a refreshing treat. Be sure to order it without classic syrup or you'll have to start Whole30 all over again.
- Black Iced Tea: It doesn't get any more basic than black tea. Ask for yours without classic syrup, and add your own squeeze of fresh citrus, switching it up occasionally to keep things fresh.
- Iced Coffee: Ask for your iced coffee without Starbucks's classic syrup to keep it Whole30-approved.
- Cold Brew: Just beans and water make this no-sugar-added cup a perfect way to get your caffeine fix.
- Brewed Tea: Starbucks has a number of freshly brewed hot teas to help you through the afternoon without a sugar high — these include organic Jade Citrus Mint Green Tea and Passion Tango Herbal Tea. Just double-check the menu before you order, as some of the teas include off-limits ingredients like honey or lemonade.
- Infused Iced Teas: Choose from pineapple, peach, and strawberry flavours, without lemonade or classic syrup.
- Espresso: The rich flavour and caramel-like sweetness of Starbucks's espresso roast is perfectly Whole30-friendly.
- Passion Iced Tea: Fruitful and full-bodied, it's great for a warm day when you're really missing that glass of Rosé. (Add club soda and pretend it's a cocktail!)