Standing Side Bend
"This pose lengthens the entire length of your body from toe tips to fingertips," said Heather Larivee, a Kripalu-certified yoga teacher and CEO of wellness and management consulting company Sparkflo. She described it as "a wonderful counter-pose to sitting," stretching out all the muscles in your legs, sides, and arms.
- Stand with your ankles crossed. For a gentler stretch, stand with your feet under your hips.
- Reach your right arm up and grab your right wrist with your left hand.
- Gently pull your right hand to the left.
- Hold and breathe deeply for six to eight breaths.
- Uncross your legs and repeat on the other side.
You can do this stretch at your desk by sitting up tall and bending to either side, focusing on the upper body stretch.