Start a Gratitude Journal
"The goal of journaling is simply to recognise the good and focus on what is going right to help increase our positive emotions. Gratitude journaling is a great way to manifest happiness through noticing and observing joy and successes — whether big or small — in our lives to improve our well-being," Aaliyah Nurideen, MSW, LSW, told POPSUGAR.
According to Aaliyah, you can journal daily or weekly, whatever works the best for you. To start gratitude journaling, she recommends answering one of the following questions for seven days straight:
- Describe something you did well today. She likes this prompt because it helps you recognise smaller moments of success.
- What are three things you're good at? She recommends this prompt because it allows you to get out of the cycle of thinking negatively about yourself and allows you to acknowledge your strengths.
- Describe three reasons to be excited for the future. This prompt will shift your thinking from your current circumstance and help create hope and optimism, Aaliyah said.
"Once you develop a routine and become familiar with journaling, you can then move on to reflecting upon your entire week and choosing as many prompts to guide you as you journal." Below are additional prompts she recommends to guide your journaling.
- What is something that you were grateful for today?
- Describe how you were helpful to someone this week?
- What is something beautiful that you saw today?
- Describe something that made you laugh today?
- What is something you accomplished today or this week?
- Describe an unexpected good thing that happened to you today or this week?
- Describe a challenge you overcame today or this week.
- What is something nice someone said to you today or this week?
- Describe a moment in which you were proud of yourself today.
- What was your favourite part of today or this week?