Idol says that lunges can be challenging to balance — so ensure the core is engaged to improve your overall stability.
- Begin in a runner's lunge position with arms overhead.
- Step one leg wide to the front, bend into the lunge with your knee directly over your ankle and your back leg extended straight, pressing through the lifted heel. Hips should be squared off to your front.
- Extend your front leg straight by squeezing the glute to lift out of the lunge while lowering arms. Lift slowly for 2 counts.
- Bend and press back to the runner's lunge position while lifting arms overhead. Lower slowly for 2 counts.
- Repeat 8 times.
- Focus on both the squeeze to lift and the control/press to lower. Control both movements and ensure it is challenging to lift from the lunge. Draw your shoulders down your back when the arms lift.
- To modify, shorten the range of motion (ROM).