If Fall means heading to your local farmers market and stuffing your reusable canvas bags with every single kind of squash you can find, then this one-pan recipe is for you.
I discovered delicata squash a few years ago when shopping for sweet potatoes, and an elderly women said, "If you like those, you'll adore these," pointing at what I had always thought was an inedible gourd. My life was forever changed because delicatas are now my top favourite squash — maybe even one of my top five favourite vegetables!
Sweet flavour like a sweet potato, but tender and soft flesh like a butternut squash, the skin of the delicata cooks up thin so you can eat it, offering fibre and saving you time in having to peel it. This one-pan dish has just four main main ingredients thrown together with some olive oil and spices — it's simple to prepare, cooks up in less than 40 minutes, and offers hunger-satiating protein, fuel-filled complex carbs, and healthy fats. One serving of this one-pan meal offers seven grams of fibre and over 20 grams of protein for just 334 calories.
It tastes delicious on its own, served with a cooked whole grain such as quinoa, or used as a filling for a wrap. This dish also freezes well so you can meal prep a batch and save four servings for later.
- 1 block high-protein super firm tofu (I like the tofu from Trader Joe's; about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 delicata squash, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
1 pound bag of baby carrots, diced (about 3 cups)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the cubed tofu in a small bowl with one tablespoon olive oil, cumin, garlic powder, ginger, sea salt, and maple syrup.
- Place the cubed delicata squash and carrots on a sheet pan and toss to coat with the remaining one tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Add the tofu to the pan, mix everything together, spread it out evenly and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven, stir, and roast for another 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Makes four servings. Here's the nutritional information for one serving:
- Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 35 minutes
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving