Chrissy Teigen's thmye roasted carrots are not the same carrots you packed in your lunchbox. These savory, caramelized carrots are gorgeous enough to be a Thanksgiving side dish, but easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner. Plus, they only require five ingredients — two of which are in the name.
To make these carrots, simply roast them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. Teigen's recipe calls for whole carrots, and recommends slicing carrots that are over one inch in diameter lengthwise for the right texture and shorter cooking time. I had to slice all of mine, so I placed half of them face-up and half of them face-down to see which I preferred.
The face-down carrots (which are featured in the photo at the top of this post) caramelized much better than the face-up carrots. They were more flavourful, too, likely because I placed the thyme sprigs beneath them for more contact. If you have to cut your carrots in half, I'd definitely recommend cooking them face-down, but otherwise, that's the only adaptation you have to make to this easy recipe. If you're looking for the perfect holiday side dish, look no further than this recipe!
Teigen's recipe calls for six sprigs of thyme. I'd recommend at least doubling that amount, which is how I made mine.
- 1 1/2 pounds thin carrots, peeled
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 sprigs thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice larger carrots (thicker than one inch) in half lengthwise; leave the smaller ones whole.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, arrange the carrots on the foil, then drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Either shake the pan or use your hands to coat the carrots with oil, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Scatter the thyme sprigs among the carrots and roast until the undersides are golden and caramelized, about 30-35 minutes.
- Shake the pan and continue to roast until the carrots are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork, another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, discard the thyme sprigs, and serve.
- Side Dishes
- Serves 4
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 55 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 4 minutes, 59 seconds