If Five Guys's french fries had their own Twitter account, I would be spamming them left and right with fan mail, which is why this copycat recipe has me licking my lips and breaking out the ketchup. In a video posted to her TikTok account, home chef María Hammonds shared her recipe for the cajun-seasoned french fries, and they look just as crispy and golden as the real deal.
Made with just four simple ingredients, the fries are so fast and easy to throw together that I might have to limit myself to making one batch per week. The secret to getting them so delicious? They're triple-fried. Yep, my mouth is definitely watering now. Check out the full recipe and some meal inspiration to go along with these tasty-looking fries ahead.
- Russett potatoes
- Slice the potatoes into even fry shapes, about 1/2 inch wide.
- Thoroughly rinse the potatoes in a bowl of cold water to remove excess starch. Repeat this step until the water runs clear.
- Heat one inch of peanut oil in a cast iron skillet to 360° Fahrenheit.
- Once the oil is hot enough, fry the potatoes in small batches for three to four minutes. Overcrowding the skillet can result in uneven frying.
- Remove the fries from the oil and sprinkle them with salt. At this point, they should be pliable but pale in color.
- Add the fries back to the oil in small batches to fry for three to four more minutes so that they just begin to develop a little bit of color.
- Remove the fries from the oil for a second time and salt them again.
- For the final fry, add the fries back to the oil for about three more minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Toss the hot fries in cajun seasoning and enjoy!
- Potato, Side Dishes
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 24 minutes, 59 seconds