Every fall season, people debate about the best holiday pie: is it apple, pumpkin, sweet potato, pecan? In my family, a new flavour is usually brought to Thanksgiving but gets neglected in the shadows of the classics (they really are hard to beat). And when those classic pie flavours are made into other desserts — especially bars — we can't help but crown them the winner. And this round goes to these easy pecan pie bars.
TikTok user @food52 shared the recipe that already looks like it's going to be my new favourite and declared, "I don't know who needs to hear this, but pecan pies are out and these pecan pie bars are in." I'm not going to argue with that! We can almost taste the blend of pecan crunch, white and brown sugar, and the sweet and salty flavours. See the full recipe ahead!
- 3 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1 5/6 cup dark brown sugar
2 3/4 sticks of unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour 3 cups of flour, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 cup of white sugar, 1/3 cup of dark brown sugar, and 2 3/4 sticks of butter in a bowl. Blend in a food processor.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch pan, and pat down until flat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Make the filling by adding 1/2 cup of flour, 1 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, 4 large eggs, 1/3 cup of light corn syrup, 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and a bit of salt into a bowl. Beat the mixture until smooth.
- Add chopped pecans, and stir together. Pour mixture onto backed crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- Cut into bars and top off with flakey salt.