The engagement of a couple is an incredibly exciting time in their lives, and one that's a great cause for celebration. Whether it's the engagement of a friend or relative, writing them a card is an especially thoughtful way to send your congratulations.
Okay, so let's say you've perused your favourite store for the perfect card, or maybe decided to go the handmade route, now what sort of personal message should you add?
We're glad you asked. There is proper etiquette for writing an engagement card, but it all comes down to the type of relationship you have with the couple. For example, you're probably not going to want to be sarcastic with a colleague that's more of an acquaintance, but a friend you joke around with all the time? Go for it! Can you get a little silly if you're writing the card for your brother or sister? If that's the kind of relationship you have, then yes! Is there such a thing as being too sentimental — well, in our humble opinion, nope! Sharing a special anecdote or writing something on the sappier side is something we would save for the couples that are super close to us and who would love to hear something straight from the heart.
Still not sure what to write? Don't worry, we've got you covered. Check out these suggestions to help you with writing the perfect engagement card.
Messages For a Close Friend/Family Member:
- This is such great news! I am so happy that you two found each other, because you truly are the perfect couple. Congratulations on your engagement. I can't wait to celebrate with both of you!
- Congratulations to a wonderful couple who deserves the world. May this new adventure bring lots of smiles, happiness, and love to you both.
- Congratulations on your engagement! May your love story continue to grow and blossom during this special time in your lives.
- Words can't even begin to describe how happy I am that my best friend/sister/brother has found true love. Sending you all my love for your bright future together!
- Congratulations on your engagement. Now for the fun part — planning! Remember I'm always here and happy to help to make your big day as stress-free as possible!
- I've seen how happy you two make each other, which makes your engagement news all the more special. I can't wait for all the celebrations to begin!
- I can't believe my best friend/brother/sister is engaged! I am so happy that you two found each other. Love like yours is a rare and beautiful thing — and definitely a reason to celebrate!
- Do you remember when we used to talk about everything we'd want in our special someone when we got older? I'm so happy that you've found that perfect person and I cannot wait to celebrate with you!
- Congratulations for officially getting the right to love and annoy each other for the rest of your lives!
- I'm so happy that the two of you are engaged! Now for the fun part — the open bar! I mean, wedding. Your wedding. I definitely meant your wedding.
- Congratulations on your engagement! I think this is as good an excuse as any to finally get started on that workout we've been talking about for the last year for all that wedding shopping we're about to do!
- Yay! You're engaged! Is it too soon to start planning your bachelorette party?
- I'm so happy that you're engaged to the love of your life! But now that you're set, can you maybe get to work finding my perfect guy/girl?
- Congratulations on that gorgeous ring! I mean, fiancé.
Messages That Are Perfect For Anyone:
- Congratulations on your engagement! Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness as you start on this journey together!
- Best wishes for your engagement! Wishing you both an abundance of everlasting love.
- May your engagement be the beginning of the happiest times with each other. Congratulations to both of you!
- Congratulations on your engagement! May your journey together bring you endless joy and happiness.
- Sending lots of love and well wishes to the happy couple for your engagement!
- Warmest wishes to both of you on your engagement! Cheers to your everlasting love and happiness.
- Congratulations to you both on your engagement! May your future together be bright and beautiful. All the best!
- Best wishes for an adventure-filled life together!
Remember, this is a happy time in the couple's lives. They're about to embark on a beautiful new journey together and showing them you're excited with a sweet gesture like sending them an engagement card or personal message is a beautiful way to add to their happiness.